|Population||15.3 million (2019)|
|Greenhouse Gas Emissions Facts|
GDP annual growth: 6.9%
|Ratified Paris Agreement||
6 February 2017
First Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC): Available here. (2017)
Mitigation component (based on officially submitted text):
Cambodia intends to undertake actions with the impact (sectors: energy industries, manufacturing industries, transport) of which is expected to be a maximum reduction of 3,100 Gg CO2eq compared to baseline emissions of 11,600 Gg CO2eq by 2030. Cambodia intends to undertake voluntary and conditional actions to achieve the target of increasing forest cover to 60% of national land area by 2030. In absence of any actions the net sequestration from LULUCF is expected to reduce to 7,897 GgCO2 in 2030 compared to projected sequestration of 18,492 GgCO2 in 2010.
Adaptation component (based on officially submitted text):
Adapting to current and future effects of climate change is a priority for Cambodia. Cambodia firmly believes that climate change adaptation action requires an integrated, multisector approach to be effective and to be able to support national development objectives.
Updated First Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC): Available here. (2020)
ICAT Project Details
Phase 1 of the ICAT project aimed to strengthen the MRV framework for the RE sub-sector including aspects related to institutional arrangements, legal frameworks, and policies monitoring methodologies and procedures.
Phase 2 of the project has now commenced.
Start of Phase 1:
ICAT Scoping Mission:
End of Phase 1:
Start of Phase 2:
End of Phase 2:
General Secretariat of National Council for Sustainable Development
UNEP DTU Partnership
ICAT Workplan and Deliverables
Phase 1 ICAT Workplan and Deliverables:
The main outcome of ICAT’s work is to strengthen the MRV framework for the Renewable Energy sub-sector.
The key deliverables were:
- Summary of (i) key national policies and strategies reviewed and proposed for the MRV system, (ii) current status of national climate MRV and M&E activities and initiatives
- Review of the Renewable Energy methodology and relevance for the On/Off Grid Renewable Energy policies
- Proposal for data and metrics for RE sector and its policies; BAU scenario(s), ex-ante estimation of selected policy
- Analysis of barriers and gaps in current reporting mechanisms and MRV system design
Reports prepared under the ICAT Cambodia Phase I project:
Phase 2 ICAT Workplan and Deliverables:
- Prioritization of policies / actions / targets of the Transport sector NDCs to develop a MRV system.
- Conduct capacity building training on GACMO and ICAT SD assessment methodology.
- MRV needs and gaps assessment report for the selected Action / Policy.
- Selection of appropriate methodology for development of MRV for the Transport Sector in Cambodia and capacity building on selected methodology.
- Design of the MRV System and Establishment of Roles and Responsibilities.
- Dissemination Workshop and Implementation Plan.